BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday 4 January 2011

Goodwood Roller Marathon!

Mental? Moi? Of course!!! 7am on a Sunday morning wifey et all picks me up to head of to Goodwood to take part in the roller marathon. Hadn't really given it much previous thought except for pre registering. On arrival and clocking the track I suddenly think WTF!? 5 laps?? no way - but wifey insists I'll be fine so I sign on the dotted line, 5 laps it is then.


We pad up, foregoing elbows and helmets as its gotten so warm and we meet up with 2 more of the lovely CDD's who are skating too! At this point I figure its probably a good idea to visit the loo - then discover much to the girls hilarity that my wheels have a few issues with the surface - panic sets in, its like being back at recruitment day all over again and I cant move :( Eventually make it over to the toilet block and as I'm coming out one of my wheels falls off - its an omen! but I figure it must just be that me or wifey loosened them a little too much, no big bother. Get back to our spot, get the wheel back on and met up with the girlies for the start :)

Not even 100 yards off the start line, another wheel decides its not only gonna come off, its gonna do the marathon on its own!! rolls off towards wifey who is now pissing herself laughing and we get it back on again - off we go! er....no, there goes another wheel. Rather pissed now I hoik my skates off and get back to the spectators area,wifes lovely hubby CJ looks at the wheels and nuts and we discover I've been sold the wrong wheels and the only way the nuts will stay on is if we tighten them right up but then the wheels dont bloody move (you can imagine my despair!) However, CJ, being the genius that he is, sorts it out by simply flipping the nut over! I can haz wheelzagain :D yeah so they're a bit stiff so its gonna be harder work but I can go skate!

Not gonna give you a lap by lap - that would be dull, so here's a condensed version!

Jeebus that surface was a bit eeeek! I got going though and was chatting to people along the way (was not doing the marathon for a time thing, more a personal thing) and although my back was a bit achy I persevered! Hit the water station and sank a good litre and a bit - hot hot hot! before starting back off again. The roller girls were all shouting encouragement to each other which I thought was brilliant :) Yes I struggled but I kept on going (even though wifey whinged I was chatting every time she saw me lol) and at one point heard from a derby girl 'hey! are you Cham Pain?? I'm Sleazy Rider, Tony said to say hi!' as she and her companion whizzed past! This is where the Dory bit came in from the last blog, hard going but just keep skating skating skating! The downhill bits were a bit eek! and the uphill were killers but it was well worth it! I may not have finished my 5 laps but considering what I was up against I was very pleased with what I did accomplish :D

I got to chat to some lovely girls/teams (including Skulldozer from Manchester, hope your chipped bone is ok now!) and got to giggle at my wifey going 'aaaaaagh!! the pain!!' - in all fairness she has blisters on her blisters lol

On the upside - we all got pieces of eight!! lol ok, we got medals to say we took part :) I bet everyone was feeling it that night (and for days after maybe!)

signing out, a rather pleased

Amber
x

0 comments: