BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday 17 May 2011

mix it up, change it about, its all good

Heya, how ya doing? Its been a funny old week here with me playing mother hen and changes afoot with team training, I won't go into it as it'd take up a huge blog post and its all water under the bridge now. Instead I'll treat you to more of my waffling, you'd like that wouldn't you ;)


So, this week saw me finally fiddling about with bits on my skates other than my wheels (I know, shock huh!) On seeking advice I bought some Sure Grip Super cushions in Red (hardest) as I'm not exactly the most svelte of ladies and am still a bit unstable on my skates. Everglides were their usual fantastic selves and I had them the morning after ordering so got to work fitting them that night. My ladybrother Jinx said it would only take me 5 mins and gave me a video to watch so I thought hey no problem! HAH!!! 40 minutes because the back ones on 1 skate didn't want to play ball, I even managed to throw a hissy fit on my skate tool and have a domestic with my OH after simply asking him to put the nut on so it had some grip while I pushed down on the cushions, he reckoned it couldn't be done and gave up, eventually they were on, I won and was looking forward to seeing if they made a difference the next day.

And so to Saturday training, as I said there were a few changes about to be put in place, I was a little nervous about what was going to happen to be totally honest but it was a really positive session. We were told exactly how training was going to work from now on and what was expected of us both on skates and fitness wise and I went off with my group to work on stuff I need for min skills. T-stops I am still struggling with but then that's just because I need to practice them, so turns were thrown in too! Why learn one skill when you can learn two lol. Again its going to take practice but I feel I've got the basics to get cracking on it! Little bits of awesome remember :) We all came together then to practice working on our sweeps and crossovers and this is where I got cross with myself, after the entire team practiced pushing then sweeping we were set off in our own little groups to see how people were picking it up. Ok I still get the occasional wobble when going quicker than I'm used to but its all good. What I was annoyed with myself about was not taking the opportunity to go around my team mate, it was there but my brain kept saying 'in a minute' then before I knew it we were done, grrrrr silly girl, stop thinking start doing! Anyways I'm not going to dwell on the negative, I did well with other things in that session and although last nights practice was called off at the last minute thanks to not being told about the hall being set up for exams, I'm going to be practicing all I can at home!

As for the cushions, tbh I didn't notice a difference which was disappointing - actually no, I got worse at my plow stops! I had to tighten the back truck up slightly to fix that but there's not much room for manoeuvre with the trucks as they are :s Am also looking at how my skates are laced up because for the first time since I was out of the Reidells I got totally numb feet!! Apart from that, all is good - am talking with the gym this week on mixing up my training programme and looking at my nutrition once I've got something that's playing on my mind a bit sorted but I'm getting there slowly :)

For now, much derby love

Emilie
xxx

0 comments: